If I could have any superpower, it would be to fly. The experience would be incredibly exhilarating and provide me with a new perspective. But if human beings were supposed to fly, God would have given us wings. Although bats and insects also fly, birds are by far more pleasant to watch.
To minimize the effects of gravity, birds are as light as possible. Here are some adaptations that help make them light:
- Hollow bones
- Babies don’t grow and develop inside the mothers’ bodies. They develop in eggs.
- Birds eat foods that are very high in usable calories so they get as many calories as possible from a small amount of food.
- Birds don’t have bladders so they carry no useless weight from urine.
- The bones of a bird’s wings are small compared to the size of the wings. All wing bones and muscles are in the front and covered with feathers to streamline flight.
- Most of a bird’s weight is in its center of gravity with very little weight in front or behind.
- Birds don’t have teeth or a nose which are heavy and too far forward. The gizzard is located near their center of gravity.
- Their tail and wing bones are very short.
- Bird lungs don’t fill up with a lot of heavy air.
We can fly emotionally and spiritually by letting go of things that weigh us down:
- Watch what you are thinking. Stinking thinking will prevent you from flying. Change your perspective and change your life.
- Minimize wasted time spent on things that are not uplifting.
- Stop focusing on your past failures.
- Drop bad habits.
- Find things that bring you joy.
- Get a job that makes you want to wake up in the morning.
- Steer clear of negative people.
- Choose a healthier lifestyle.
- Cease overdoing and appreciate being still.
- Let go of needless fear.
- Reduce stress.
- Love yourself.